Issue 312
September 4 - September 10, 2006
Volume 6
page 3

Why Casinos May Earn Less from High than Low Rollers
By Alan Krigman

Say you enter a casino with $100. What do the bosses expect you to leave behind? The whole $100, or less? And, if less, do they consider you a better, worse, or equivalent patron betting $10 or $25 per coup? The devil is in the detail of how you gamble.
Say you go for broke, playing until you win $900 or lose $100. Many folks believe the casino would figure them for $100 profit minus a small luck factor, ascribing the effect to house edge.

But, imagine a gamble with no edge. The casino has 90 percent chance of getting your $100. Your shot at winning $900 before this occurs is the other 10 percent. The house breaks even.

Here's why. Suppose that 100 people each buy-in at the no-edge game for $100. They play until they win $900 or go broke. On the average, 10 will succeed -- winning $900 each for a total of $9,000. The other 90 will lose $100 each for a total of $9,000. That's $9,000 in and $9,000 out. Nothing is left for the casino.

With an edge, the casino gets a share as well. Envision it by pretending the game is blackjack, with everyone following perfect Basic Strategy. The house advantage is half a percent.

When bets are a flat $10 per round, this edge cuts the chance of winning $900 before losing $100 from 10 to under 7 percent. On the average, of 100 players, seven will therefore win $900 and 93 will lose $100. Winners take away $900 x 7 or $6,300 and losers leave $100 x 93 or $9,300. The bosses earn the $3,000 difference, so each of the 100 bettors looks like $30 to the casino.

What if everything remains the same except that bets are $25 per round? The chance of victory becomes 9 percent and that of defeat 91 percent. On the average, $900 x 9 or $8,100 then flows out the door while 91 x $100 or $9,100 stays; the joint keeps the $1,000 difference. Each of the 100 $25 bettors represents a theoretical profit of $10 to the casino.

The disparity arises because the solid citizens with $100 stakes need longer either to hit their profit targets or go belly-up betting $10 than $25 per round. And, taking longer, the $10 players will end up betting in more rounds and having a larger gross wager or "handle" on which the edge takes its toll. To explore this counter-intuitive phenomenon, $10 bettors being worth more to the bosses than their $25 counterparts, work back through the edge and casino "take" to the handle.

For the house to average $3,000 at half a percent edge, the gross wager would have to be $3,000/0.005 or $600,000. At $10 per round, this is 60,000 rounds -- an average of 600 rounds and $6,000 handle for each of the 100 players. For the casino to earn $1,000 at the same edge, the handle would have to be $1,000/0.005 or $200,000. At $25 per round, this is 8,000 rounds -- an average of 80 rounds and $2,000 handle for each of the 100 players.

A higher edge with all else being equal would lower the likelihood of winning the $900 before losing $100 even further. It would also raise the expected earnings from each player.

Rising from 0.5 to 1 percent edge, prospects of prosperity for $10 players fall from 7 to 4 percent. At 1 percent, an average of four winners would accordingly grab $900 x 4 or $3,600 while 96 losers would kiss $100 x 96 or $9,600 goodbye. The casino would earn the $6,000 difference, $60 per person. Similarly for the $25 bettors, probability of success drops from 9 to 8 percent. On the average, eight winners would emerge with $900 x 8 or $7,200 while 92 losers would be stripped of $100 x 92 or $9,200. The $2,000 difference would be the casino's commission, $20 per player.

Alternate exit strategies would yield other results. But the underlying theme would still be that neither bankroll nor bet size alone are good indicators of a player's monetary worth to a casino. They may even lead to pampering the wrong people. As the songster, Sumner A Ingmark, surely suspected when he scribbled:

Conclusions falsely prejudicial,
Arise from data superficial.

About the Author

Alan Krigman is a weekly syndicated newspaper gaming columnist and Editor & Publisher of Winning Ways, a monthly newsletter for casino aficionados. His columns are focused on those who are interested in gambling probability and statistics.


Friday Night Fever Weekly Slot Tournament
Sam's Town Tunica, Robinsonville, MS
Every Friday night
Registration: $20.00
Call 800-456-0711 for more information

King's Ransom Blackjack Tournament
Boulder Station, Las Vegas, NV
Every Saturday
Registration: $25.00
Call 702-432-7777 for more information

Tell us what you think about our newsletter.
Copyright � 2000-2005 Casino City. All rights reserved
Casino City is a trademark of Please read our Disclaimer of Warranty